How to Properly Care for a Loved One with Ostomy
Ostomy is a type of surgery that allows bodily waste to pass through a stoma on the abdomen into a ‘pouch’ outside of the body. This is a life-saving method necessary for inflammatory bowel disease, cancer, birth defects, diverticulitis, and incontinence, among others.
Expert care is needed to maintain the cleanliness of the bag, as well as the wellness of your loved one. If you cannot do this by yourself, enlisting the help of skilled nursing is necessary.
Home health care services offer skilled nursing services that can help you or a loved one to manage an ostomy bag. Professionally trained nurses can give expert assistance when it comes to cleaning and replacing the bag.
The basic steps of cleaning an ostomy bag are as follows:
- Protect the skin around the stoma. Clean with water and only wear barriers and pouches of the right size to avoid infection.
- Empty the pouch regularly to avoid bulges and leaks. Change pouches at least once every week.
- When emptying the pouch, make sure to:
- Sit or stand next to a toilet.
- Unfold and unclamp the tail and empty the contents in the toilet.
- Clean the inside and outside of the tail.
- Check for tears and leaks.
- Re-clamp the pouch to close.
- Shave hair around the stoma carefully. This will help the pouch to stick to your skin.
- Wear comfortable clothing to keep your pouch and stoma out of harm.
All Care Professional Home Health, Inc. is a health care agency in Arlington, Texas, that offers ostomy care for clients in need. Our professional team provides client-focused care that enhances your quality of life and improve your healing.
We also offer therapy services in Texas, such as physical, speech, and occupational therapy.